Responsible for accurately and timely coding medical records following established coding, CMS regulations and hospital guidelines. Reviews outpatient encounters and accurately codes diagnostic and procedural information following coding guidelines and regulations.
1. Reviews patient encounters and assigns diagnostic ICD-10 and or/procedural CPT codes according to established coding, CMS and hospital guidelines. (95%)
o Responsible for accurately coding outpatient ROP, ED or professional/physician office encounters.
o Maintains productivity and quality rate according to established standards.
o Ensures optimal ASC/APC/APG assessment.
o Works within UH billing time frames.
o Maintains updated knowledge of guidelines and regulations affecting the UHHS Coding Department.
2. Assists with other duties as assigned. (5%)
*This role may encounter Protected Health Information (PHI) as part of regular responsibilities. UH employees must abide by all requirements to safely and securely maintain PHI for our patients. Annual training, the UH Code of Conduct and UH policies and procedures are in place to address appropriate use of PHI in the workplace
High school diploma or GED required.
Preferably have or be actively pursuing Associate's or Bachelor's degree. Degree in HIM preferred.
Credentials, Licensure or Certification (i.e. RN, RRT):
One of the following coding certifications required or must be obtained within 6 months of hire:
CCA, CPC, CPC-A CPC-H, CPC-P, CCS, CCS-P, RCC, ROCC, RHIT, or RHIA
Experience & Knowledge:
* 1+ years of ICD-10-CM and/or CPT coding experience preferred.
* Medical terminology, anatomy and physiology knowledge required.
* Must be detail-oriented and organized, have excellent time-management skills, and have good analytical and problem solving ability.
* Notable client service, communication, presentation and relationship building skills required.
* Ability to function independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, demanding work environment required.
* Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Special Skills & Equipment Knowledge:
* Demonstrated ability to use PCs, Microsoft Office suite, and general office equipment (i.e., printers, copy machine, FAX machine, etc.) required.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Location/Region: Cleveland, OH (US - 44101)