To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.As members of a High Reliability Organization (HRO), every employee should practice the Standards of Professional Behavior and strive to make patient safety a top priority. The job entails assisting with the medication reconciliation process by interviewing patients and contacting pharmacies and physician offices to obtain an accurate medication history. In addition, the position entails being a resource for the pharmacist and assisting nursing and physicians with medication related requests.EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran
- 1. Obtains and clarifies patients' home/chronic medication list by contacting community pharmacies and extended care facilities, interviewing patient and family members to ensure proper identification of doses and drugs including prescription medications, over the counter drugs and complimentary & alternative medications in an efficient and timely manner.
- 2. Accurately documents the home medication list in the electronic health record using the standardized documentation format. Communicates discrepancies identified via the medication history process with the pharmacist and makes clarifications with the patient and prescribers as needed.
- 3. Hands off effectively any medication history related issues and ensures proper follow-up and closure.
- 4. Appropriately directs, triages or communicates to the appropriate caregivers or staff all questions or inquiries from patient or families that are outside the scope of taking the medication history.
- 5. Serves as a resource to the pharmacist regarding home medication histories and other follow-up as deemed appropriate by the pharmacist. Responds to nurses, physicians or other requestors and appropriately manages, triages, or ensures follow-up in a timely manner regarding medication history information and/or medication history requests.
- 6. Conducts consistent environment of care rounds to ensure safety and regulatory compliance. Also, identify opportunities for improvement related to safety, regulatory or financial outcomes.
- 7. Meets all Standard of Professional Behavior and other YNHHS Service Excellence Standards (including AIDET, 10-5 and no venting) and ensures that high quality customer service is provided and displayed at each patient and team interaction. Effectively demonstrates the principles and conduct consistent with a High Reliability Organization.
- 7.1 Effectively demonstrates the principles and conduct consistent with a High Reliability Organization.
- 8. Meets all YNHHS attendance and punctuality standards.
- 9. Participates in special projects and department goals as indicated.
High School Diploma in combination with pharmacy experience OR High School Diploma and successful completion of an academic or military pharmacy technician training program. Certification by the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), or equivalent, required on or within 6 months of date of hire.
Successful completion of an academic or military pharmacy technician training program will be considered equivalent to two years of pharmacy technician experience. Candidates with 2-3 years of pharmacy technician experience may be hired as a Medication History Technician I.
Active Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification, or equivalent, is required on or within 6 months of date of hire. If certification lapses, employees have 60 days to show proof of recertification or employment may be terminated.
Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Pharmacy Technician in the State of Connecticut as outlined by the Deptartment of Consumer Protection. Must be able to prioritize competing demands, work independently and show flexibility and teamwork. Must demonstrate excellent communication skills to customers and team members. Proficiency in mathematical calculations; accuracy; problem solving; attention to detail; knowledge of computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets; ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment; ability to work with computer and technology equipment including the ability to perform basic troubleshooting functions.
Employee may be expected to work mandatory on-call shifts. Coverage extends to days and evenings. Employee is considered essential personnel and is expected to work during inclement weather.
Location/Region: Greenwich, CT (US)