Assigns codes to medical diagnoses and procedures using appropriate coding classifications for complex record types for inpatient areas.
1. Reviews medical records to determine all appropriate diagnostic and procedural code assignments.
2. Assigns and sequences diagnostic and procedural codes using appropriate classification systems utilizing official coding guidelines.
3. Seeks clarification from healthcare providers or other designated resources to ensure accurate and complete coding.
4. Enhances and maintains coding knowledge and skills.
5. Reviews appropriate inpatient work queues daily to address coding edits and make corrections.
Complexity of Work: Requires critical thinking skills, effective communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.Experience
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. Proficient in basic computer skills.
Licensure , Certification and Registration: RHIA, RHIT or CCS.
Required Work Experience: 3 years inpatient coding experience in a hospital setting or 6 months experience working for MHS within the HIM department.
Memorial Healthcare System, consisting of 6 acute care hospitals, a nursing home, outpatient facilities, home health services and physician practices, provides quality, comprehensive care to the residents of the surrounding communities. We invite you to join one of the nation's leading healthcare systems, recognized for use of advanced technology and clinical informatics. The system offers a diversity of opportunities and specialties matched only by our uniquely skilled team of over 10,000 employees. Memorial Healthcare System has developed a strong organizational culture that empowers its workforce and supports a vibrant patient care environment. In fact, MHS was recognized by the Studer Group with a "Fire Starter Award" for extraordinary outcomes in developing a culture of service and operational excellence.
Memorial Healthcare System is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
Employment at Memorial Healthcare System is subject to post offer, pre-placement assessment, including drug testing.
Location/Region: Hollywood, FL